Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Hearty Blueberry Muffins



The little man in my household gets up really, really early.  To make this more pleasant, I like to keep nice breakfast foods in the house.  Muffins are my favorite these days because they take very little energy or concentration to prepare in the morning- just peel off the paper.  Less work than even a bowl of cereal!  Great when my brain is not yet fully functioning.
Made these last week and was really pleased with how they turned out.  I tweaked the basic muffin recipe in my Better Homes cookbook to create something that I can feel pretty good about eating.  I have also been looking for ways to use all the blueberries that are now in season.

1 cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup flax seed meal
2 tea. Baking powder
1 egg
1 cup milk
¼ cup oil
2 cups blueberries
Combine flours, sugar, oats, flax and baking powder in a medium bowl.  Combine egg, milk and oil in another bowl.  Add wet ingredients to dry, stir until combined.  Stir in blueberries.  Spoon batter into muffin pan that is greased or prepared with paper cups.  Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.  I can’t remember exactly how long mine stayed in the oven.
This recipe makes 12 regular sized muffins.  And they are yummy.

1 comment: