Thursday, September 30, 2010

Creamy Vegetarian Split Pea Soup


Creamy Vegetarian Split Pea Soup

I love soup in fall and winter.  To celebrate the beginning of my favorite season, I decided to make some split pea soup.  I never made it before, so I read a bunch of recipes online, combining elements that sounded good to create this recipe.  Most recipes include ham, but this one is a vegetarian version.  I adapted the recipe at the end to make a yummy dinner for my baby- and he LOVED this!  Even my carnivorous husband enjoyed this soup!  It was gone before I got around to taking a picture of it : )

Ingredients: 
1 lb (dried) split peas
1 large carrot, diced
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 dried bay leaves
1-2 cups milk or cream* 

*I used half and half.  You should adjust the amount added at the end depending on the thickness of the soup and whether you are reserving some for baby.

Put all vegetables in a large pot, cover with 2 ½ quarts (10 cups) water, add bay leaves.  Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 and a half to 2 hours, until soup thickens and peas disintegrate.  Remove the bay leaves.  Puree soup (with an immersion blender if you have one).  Reserve 1 cup for baby, if applicable.  Stir in milk or cream, season with salt and pepper to taste.

Split Pea and Barley Soup For Baby:
Combine 1 cup soup (without the milk), 1 cup water, and ¾ cup barley cereal for babies.  Adjust thickness by adding more or less water.  This makes about 8 baby portions.  I froze what baby didn’t eat right away in portion-sized containers.

4 comments:

  1. Erin,

    This recipe sounds delicious! I'm going to try making this very soon. Hopefully, I'll be able to take a picture of it for you. Are the bay leaves essential to the recipe? Keep sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy!
    The bay leaves add a really nice flavor, but it would still be good without. Hope you like it : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. making it right now... will let u know how it goes. and i'm a bay leaf lover. definitely a good flavor for a rainy day :)
    love, gab

    ReplyDelete