Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Locket

As a little girl my favorite movie was Annie. I loved that “Daddy Warbuck’s house,” the place they actually filmed the movie, was in my home town (http://www.monmouth.edu/wilson_hall/default.asp), and I of course loved all the singing and dancing. But there were also certain elements that I found to be particularly romantic and fun. I loved the camaraderie between the girls in the orphanage. I loved the way Annie found her own quiet place by climbing a bunch of boxes to sit and look out an upper window at night (a feat I often tried to reenact, but never got quite right- we didn’t have the right windows for it at home).

One of the most precious things in the story to me was Annie’s broken locket. I found it striking that her most prized possession was this item that was old and cracked, but treasured because of what it signified (her parents’ promise that they would present the other half when they came back to claim her). From then on I hoped that someday I would have a special locket of my own.

When I was eleven years old all the girls in my family received gold, heart-shaped lockets for Christmas from my grandparents. My Grandmother was sick, and she died a month later. I got my own precious locket, and even though I haven’t worn it in many years, it remains a treasured item to me because of what it signifies.

The image of a locket represents something loved, cherished, and valued. On these “pages” I’d like to share things that are valuable to me- thoughts on family and faith, and my experiences as a new mother. Even though I expect my readership to be small (hi Mommy), I hope that anyone who does read enjoys it.

4 comments:

  1. Erin,

    Those are some very touching thoughts and they invite me to think of my own "escape" and treasured items I had as a girl.
    Thanks!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading your blog.... Deb Payette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking for the "like" button :-)
    Julia Khouri

    ReplyDelete